- 783 Million people do not have access to clean water
- 5 Billion people do not have adequate sanitation of their water, and More people have cell phone than a toilet.
- The tourism industry loses close to $1 billion each year as a result of nutrient pollution and harmful algal blooms.
- Livestock farms and municipal wastewater treatment represent the largest sources of nitrogen and phosphorus pollution in the country.
- Conventional Nitrate-removal systems are expensive and have in some cases costs have risen from 5-10 cents per 1000 gallons to over $4 per 1000 gallons.
- Over half the states in US are reporting “serious” algae bloom problems